Hibiscus plants(Hibiscus Wikipedia) are well-known for their beautiful, different color flowers. These blossoms can decorate your home, and also be used for their medicinal benefits. Teas and liquid extracts can be prepared with the flowers and leaves of this plant that in turn treat a lot of ailments and conditions.
Hibiscus flower tea, also known as sour tea, is prepared using the most popular variety of the plant – Hibiscus sabdariffa. The red calyces are often the main ingredient used to prepare the herbal infusion. Hibiscus flower tea has the ability to reduce high blood pressure and treat a lot of other conditions like bacterial infections, fever, and upset stomach. The tea directly affects your bowel movement and bladder function, releasing unwanted toxins from your body.
If you are ready to enjoy your first cup of hibiscus flower tea, here are some tips to help you select the best one:
- The size of tea particles must be large. This indicates high-quality tea. If you find the powdery form or tea bags, the taste may be great but the benefits are lesser.
- The color of the dried flowers must be crimson, deep magenta or red. A light color indicates lower quality and may not be the right choice.
- The tea must smell fresh and soothing. Lack of smell immediately means low quality and you would just be wasting your money.
- The taste is a very important factor in selecting tea. If you feel that the taste is not fresh and the after taste is unpleasant, do not buy the same brand next time.
- Hibiscus flower tea may not be grown in all countries. If your country imports the ingredient, ensure that it has been prepared recently and has not been lying on the shelf for several months.
- Some brands may be selling the tea in combination with ginger, lemon or mint. Try the flavor based on your own taste buds and preferences.
- The individual consuming the tea is also an important factor to consider before selecting on the best hibiscus flower tea. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, the tea may not be safe for you. Also, if you are consuming Tylenol or a similar drug, you must not start consuming the tea till your over with your prescribed medication.
- 5 grams of the calyx is sufficient for a single serving. Therefore, decide on the quantity you need and avoid storing too much for longer.
- Listen to the changes experienced by your body post consumption and if you continue to feel ill, discontinue the beverage immediately and try another brand or preparation.
- Read the ingredients carefully and ensure that it has been produced using the calyx of the Hibiscus sabdariffa.
Hibiscus remains extremely popular in different countries across the world, owing to its health benefits. As research continues, many more benefits may be discovered making the beverage more widely accepted as an efficient and preventative medicinal treatment.
Know more about Hibiscus health benefits.